1921

  • March – City and County governments purchase former boarding house on 4th Street and open Colbert County Hospital

1927

  • Original hospital moves to new red brick building
  • Three levels with 60 patient beds, a maternity room with a sunporch, two operating rooms, X-ray room, lab, doctors’ and nurses’ rooms

1954

  • Three-story wing was added, raising bed capacity to 82. Later increasing demands for more space forced the hospital to convert waiting areas into patient rooms, increasing the number of beds to 100. The hospital operated at 101% capacity after the 1954 completion.

1960

  • Louise Isbell Ashe, Sheffield resident, organizes volunteer auxiliary of pink ladies and candy stripers
  • New addition raised bed capacity to 214 and added new surgery, maternity, emergency, pharmacy and radiology facilities. New laboratory included a department of Pathology
  • Physical Therapy department opened and was furnished by the Muscle Shoals District Service League

1970

  • Further expansion resulted in a new lobby, business office, gift shop, pharmacy and enlarged laboratory facility
  • HKH saw many firsts for the Shoals area, including North Alabama’s first IV therapy team and one of the first outpatient eye surgeries

1979

  • Name of hospital changes to Helen Keller Hospital in honor of the great lady of courage, who was born in nearby Tuscumbia
  • 1100 Professional Office building is completed

1982

  • Major renovation and construction adds four-story patient tower to hospital with 12 CCU and SICU rooms, new ER, and surgery suites
  • Helen Keller Hospital begins the area’s first and only hospital-based ambulance service providing non-emergent patient transport and 911 responder

1987

  • Helen Keller Hospital becomes first hospital in Shoals area to offer labor -delivery-recovery birthing concept
  • Adult Chemical Dependency and Psychiatric unit is added. Unit is named the Restore Center but later renamed The Sullivan Center after Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller’s teacher
  • Hellen Keller becomes first hospital in Colbert County to offer MRI services

1990

  • Hospital’s emphasis further shifts to prevention and wellness. Ladies First, New Beginnings, Wellcare, KellerMed and Sleep Disorders Centers started
  • Cardiac Cath Lab opens
  • Red Bay Hospital in Franklin County purchased (33 bed facility)

1993

  • New physician office building opens housing over 20 practices

1994

  • Keller Wellcare Center opens with Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation. (Now in its new 10,000 sq. ft. location)

1996

  • Plans underway for major renovation of hospital’s emergency room, radiology, outpatient and OB services
  • Helen Keller celebrates its 75th Anniversary

1999

  • March – Newly renovated “Women’s Center” opens with LDRP capabilities and three times larger nursery with larger viewing area for families
  • ER increases from 9 to 18 beds with dedicated trauma rooms equipped with in-room x-ray capabilities
  • July 12, 1999 - Newly renovated Day Patient Center opens with capability of performing over 2,300 procedures on an out-patient basis

2009

  • Keller Outpatient Surgery Pavilion opened

2010

  • DaVinci Surgery Robot was purchased
  • Keller Imaging Center Opened

2014

  • Lease with Huntsville Hospital Health System – 40 Years

2019

  • ER Renovation from 18 to 22 rooms, new waiting room
  • Wound Care Center opened with 2 hyperbaric chambers
  • Purchased a Mako orthopedic robot
  • L&D Renovation
  • Hospital Lobby added the Keller Wall

Helen Keller Hospital
1300 S. Montgomery Ave.
Sheffield, AL 35660
(256) 386-4196